The Grenada School District offers year-round afterschool skills and tutoring classes to students in 4th and 5th grade, thanks to funding by the Nita M. Lowey 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant. The program also extends literacy and other educational services to the families of participating children.
Classes are held at the Green Top building after school until 5:30 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Summer classes are 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday for most of June.
Classes are divided into skills and tutoring options. Students may receive tutoring in ELA, math, and Science.
Skills classes include:
- Cliffhangers Book Club — Students choose a group book to read and engage in lively discussions and activities that enrich the reading experience.
- Discovery Lab — The focus turns from life science to computer science in the after school visit to our popular Discovery Lab, where students use iPads and computers to learn coding to program robots.
- Math Club — Students take turns being the teacher, and math games earn delicious rewards.
- Music Class — Students learn notes and rhythms on wooden xylophones.
- PE — It’s time to get outside (or in the gym) and blow off some steam with a host of different physical activities and fun games.